summer

Friday, December 10, 2010

Relay for Life Event in Santa Maria, CA

July is a HUGE and busy month for our family, but some how we always seem to make it work. I always participate in the annual American Cancer Society's "Relay for Life" event, it is a 24 hr. walk-a-thon that raises money for cancer research. This year was an extremely emotional year for me. In May 2007, we lost my awesome, giving, creative mother and best friend to cancer. One year later in May 2008, my father was diagnosed too. I thought how could this be, I can't loose them both and we spent all the rest of 2008 and 2009 fighting this disease. In the beginning of 2010 I called my girlfriend Debbie who I Co-Captain the team with and we got our game faces on and planned our fundraising events. My mother was always my biggest fan and she participated with me until her death in 2007. My father and older brother had never been to an event before and had no idea what the event was all about and I am proud to say they attended the 2010 Relay for Life event! Cancer is a life changing disease not only for the patient, but the caregivers (family members). We have lost many in our circle of family and friends as shown on the Seek-A-Cure team banner I made and those only cover 2001 through 2010.

This is why we RELAY!
Erica, age 7 (friend)
Karen (mom)
Kevin (friend)
Skip (friend)
Pat (friend)
Serena (friend)
Judy (friend)

This is the SURVIVOR Lap
the first lap of the day















This is my dad, Vern Mason signing his name on this years survivor's quilt. It was such a special day, he was told by his doctor only one day before this event he was cancer free and in remission, what a feeling, words can't describe...

Below is my brother, his son with my dad, it was a great day for my family. Oh, I almost forgot after I spent the day with my dad and brother, I came back in the evening with my husband and children and walked again into the wee hours of the morning, that's what it is all about, giving of yourself, so others can enjoy life too.






No comments: